The Importance of Retaining First-Time Donors (And How To Do It)
Fundraisers spend a lot of time acquiring new donors, and with good cause. However, in order to create a long-lasting relationship, the most critical gift isn’t the first; it’s the second.
In this session, we will make the case for why development professionals should concentrate on acquiring a donor’s second gift in order to achieve sustainable funding, high donor retention rates and high donor lifetime values.
You’ll see examples that can be implemented by any organization, whether you are a one-person shop or a large development department. The results can be astounding when put into daily use!
- Explore current research on donor loyalty and retention
- Understand the importance of donor lifetime value
- Learn new donor communications techniques that get the second gift
The Art and Science of Retaining Digital Donors
Retention is your most important fundraising strategy, and your online donors are seriously at risk. Among all your donors, they are the least likely to renew their gifts – unless you take specific, creative steps to engage and thank them.
This session will help you discover how to maximize the retention rates of your digital donors. We will examine the attributes of online donors, and outline the retention strategies that work best for this slice of your donor database.
- Understand what makes online donors tick (their habits, patterns, likes and dislikes)
- Learn how to formulate a retention strategy for online donors
- Understand best practices in digital communications, including email gift acknowledgement and social media content.
The Hidden Power of Donor Surveys
As fundraisers, we sometimes suffer from a lack of curiosity about our donors. So many of our donations are from people who we know very little about. And even our longest-running donor relationships continue despite not knowing how they feel about the relationship.
The good news is that research shows that donors actually like it when we ask them questions about themselves and how they feel about our organization. Knowing that information can also be invaluable in guiding our donor communication efforts.
Whether you’re just now discovering the power of donor surveys, or you’re looking to up your game, this session is for you!
- Why you should send surveys
- Which donors you should send surveys to
- What surveys should ask
- What to do with the information you receive from surveys
Nonprofit Videos (on a Budget) that Engage and Retain Donors
Up until recently, high-quality video production has been a luxury available only to the largest nonprofits. Now, even the smallest charity on a budget can create a compelling and authentic video that moves the needle for their fundraising goals.
In this session, we will make recommendations for crafting an effective, integrated and low-cost video strategy resulting in content that will resonate with your donors, volunteers and other stakeholders.
At the conclusion of this session participants will:
- Discover how to create an in-depth strategy based on your nonprofit’s diverse audiences
- Determine which equipment and technology is best for your organization’s needs
- Learn how to solicit and leverage crowdsourced content
- Understand how to best utilize web video platforms and social networks like YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook, Instagram and Vine for distributing content
Diamonds in the Rough – Finding The Hidden Gems In Your Donor Database
Let’s face it: prospect research is difficult. Those who have mastered it are truly artists, but not every nonprofit has access to a dedicated professional. For those wearing multiple hats, wealth screening tools, social media, and good-old-fashioned Google searches can only get you so far. Even if you do find a rich stranger in your area, there’s no guarantee that they’ll drop a million bucks in your lap.
In this session, we’ll explore prospect research strategies that build deeper, more meaningful relationships with donors. Participants will learn engagement strategies that enhance existing relationships, as well as uncover those with a propensity to give to your organization for the first time.
- How to get to know the donors you already have (and why you should want to)
- What donors actually want from you
- What factors signal a likelihood that a donor will give to your organization
- How to find prospective donors that are right under your noses
- How to leverage current donors to acquire new donors
- Strategies for re-activating lapsed donors