these templates are meant to be a starting point and not the final product – please feel free to edit to match your own needs, brand voice and organizational values
Job Status: Full-Time
Salary: $x to $x
As our Major Gifts Officer you will design, develop and implement our major gift program. You’ll be responsible for managing and cultivating relationships with existing major gift prospects, as well as identifying new prospects. An ability to empathize with donors and clearly communicate our organization’s mission is key. You’ll be expected to energize team members, persuade prospects and persevere to the end.
As our manager of the major gift program, you get to
- Help our donors accomplish their philanthropic goals and ambitions through a relationship with our organization
- Secure major gifts at the $x to $x level with the goal of raising $x annually
- Manage systems and software to track and cultivate donors and prospects, including our donor database and wealth screening tools
- Manage existing portfolio of x# donors and prospects
- Work with the development department to align efforts and set goals
- Create and implement moves management plans
- Make direct, face-to-face solicitations, and assist the board and other staff with their solicitation (e.g. provide portfolio development support, strategic counsel, and help with donor communications)
- Acknowledge major donors through public and private recognition
- Track and report progress using specific metrics
This job might be for you if
- People have asked if your middle name is “Fundraise.” You’re a true people person with an outgoing nature. You’re a self-starter and are driven by results.
- You have at least x# of years of nonprofit fundraising experience and have shown an ability to secure individual and major gifts and meet objectives. You make donors feel valued because you’re sensitive to their needs.
- You are comfortable using a donor database, prospect research and other wealth screening tools to aid in your moves management process.
- You can make and keep friends. You establish and maintain good working relationships throughout the organization and with outside constituencies.
- You have honed your writing and speaking skills and use them to compel individuals to action.
- You aren’t someone who spends a lot of time in the weeds, but you know donors expect you to be organized, prepared, detail-oriented and to follow through on promises.
- People are inspired by your determination. You bring people in line with a vision and motivate them to reach goals.
Physical prowess not required
You won’t need the endurance of a stallion, but you will have some light physical demands (i.e. spending hours listening and talking; working on the computer and phone; driving to appointments and events; and occasionally working long days, nights or weekends).
More Sample Job Description Templates