For the nonprofit social media marketer, it can sometimes feel like your efforts on Twitter amount to nothing more than a drop of water in the ocean. However, there is a way to rise above the Twitter echo-chamber. By utilizing a few simple (and free!) tools, you can ensure every tweet gets maximum exposure to the followers you care about. Here’s how to get started:
You will need:
- A Moz.com account
- A Buffer App account
- A Twitter account
1) Sign up for a Moz.com account here.
2) Go to Followerwonk.com and click “Link your Moz account.”
3) Sign in to your Moz.com account on the next screen. You will be redirected to Followerwonk.
4) Click the orange “Sign In With Twitter” button. Click “Authorize app” on the next screen.
5) Click the “Analyze followers” tab. Type in your Twitter username and be sure “analyze users they follow” is selected in the dropdown. Click “Do it.”
The report will run and you’ll be presented with a lot of useful analytics.
6) Scroll down to the “Most active hours for users (account) followers.” You’ll see a 24-hour span bar chart.
Below the bar chart, you’ll see that Buffer will suggest a daily quantity of tweets and schedule them based on your most active hours of the day. If you aren’t familiar with Buffer App, think of it as a smart tweet scheduler.
7) Click the orange “Schedule at Buffer” button to set your Buffer schedule based on the results of the Followerwonk report. You will be prompted with a notification.
Now, your Buffer schedule will be optimized based on your follower usage. All you have to do is populate Buffer with tweets! To double-check everything, head on over to your Buffer account and click the “Schedule” tab. You’ll see your new posting schedule:
As your Twitter community grows and changes, it’s recommended that you revisit this schedule from time-to-time. Your optimum tweet times may change!