This session is devoted to unraveling one of the greatest uncertainties in nonprofit fundraising—understanding what drives a donor to give. As a fundraiser (and as a donor yourself), you know it’s impossible to apply blanket statements as to why people give.
What we can do is better understand the decision-making process donors undergo. If you can effectively communicate with your donors, you can connect with them, no matter their reasons for giving.
• Explore two major forces that drive donors to give.
• Become familiar with the warm glow of giving and how it affects your job.
• Learn the five steps in the donor decision-making process and which stages you can influence most.
• Appreciate the role that psychology plays in how donors make decisions.
• Study the communication process and how it relates to your prospects.
• Recognize barriers to effective communication.
• Understand the importance of body language.